Online Settings and Channel Numbers

abhunkin

Online Settings and Channel Numbers

Postby abhunkin » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:07 pm

Thanks for adding the Online Settings option to select the group channel number. This makes the slider adaptable to a greater number of assignment settings.

Assuming the current firmware allows it, I'd like to suggest a further expansion of Online Settings as follows: label the Channel box "Default Channel" and add a row of "Channel" boxes directly above or below the Controller boxes. Add a "0" to the channel number options of these Channel boxes - "0" indicating "use the default channel." (Your initial patch would remain the same, but be expressed as "Default Channel" = 1, and all "Channels" = 0.)

This arrangement would allow any controller to be assigned any number *and* any channel - the ultimate in flexibility for any situation - short of using a slider in an entirely different way.

The same approach could be applied, it would appear, to the MC-24. (The Online Settings GUI might appear somewhat complex however?)

Thanks for both the simplicity and high quality of your MC hardware.
Art Hunkins, proud MC-8 owner
Composer - especially live-performance digital synthesis with Csound
[email protected]
abhunkin

Re: Online Settings and Channel Numbers

Postby abhunkin » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:32 pm

I am happy to note that you have recently added a MIDI-port jack to the MC-8 (and MC-24). I'm especially happy that this makes the channel numbers of each control programmable. I've three questions:

1) Are the new units currently shipping?

2) When using the MIDI-port, where does power come from - the MIDI-port itself, or does the USB port also need to be plugged in? (I'm assuming connection to a computer.)

3) When using only the USB port, are the controls' channel numbers also programmable? (I assume so, but want to check.)

Thanks, Nikolai.
Art Hunkins, proud MC-8 owner
Composer - especially live-performance digital synthesis with Csound
abhunki[email protected]
Kolyazna
Site Admin

Re: Online Settings and Channel Numbers

Postby Kolyazna » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:38 pm

abhunkin wrote:I am happy to note that you have recently added a MIDI-port jack to the MC-8 (and MC-24). I'm especially happy that this makes the channel numbers of each control programmable. I've three questions:

1) Are the new units currently shipping?

2) When using the MIDI-port, where does power come from - the MIDI-port itself, or does the USB port also need to be plugged in? (I'm assuming connection to a computer.)

3) When using only the USB port, are the controls' channel numbers also programmable? (I assume so, but want to check.)

Thanks, Nikolai.

Dear Arthur!
Happy to hear from you again!
Here are the answers to your questions:
1) Yes, the new MC-8 and MC-24 with a MIDI-port jack are available for order (and shipping).
2) The USB port need to be plugged in, but not necessary to the PC. The device can be connected to any USB power adapter.
3) Yes. The CC's and MIDI channels can be programmed only with USB.